Note: Please note that Adobe Pass is not currently integrated with the Ooyala Player V4.
Adobe Pass can be integrated with all of Ooyala’s players and supported browsers.
Adobe Pass is an authentication and authorization (AuthN/AuthZ) service that Ooyala uses to allow logging in and rights management for TV Providers and other Video Multichannel Video Programming Distributors (MVPDs). Adobe Pass allows Ooyala’s customers to restrict their content to paying customers of MVPDs.
General Usage Flow
Here is the general usage flow:
- When a player with the Adobe Pass module is created on a page, it passes a “requestorId” to Adobe Server.
- Adobe Server acknowledges that the “requestorId” is registered and returns the list of MVPDs associated with that “requestorId”.
- An end user logs in through Adobe Pass, attempting to authenticate themselves as a valid user of an MVPD by providing their end user credential and a “staticResourceId”.
- If Adobe Pass authenticates the end user, Adobe Pass returns a “media token”.
- A request for the desired video, along with the media token, is sent as an authorization request to access (SAS) to the Media Token Verifier (an Adobe component) running on an Ooyala server.
- If the Adobe Media Token Verifier determines that the media token retrieved earlier from the Adobe Pass server is valid, then the verified consumer can play the video. At this point, the end user is authorized.
Here are definitions to terms used in this document.
||TV Provider login authenticates the end user.
||Adobe Pass and Backlot authorize the end user to playback the video content.
||Adobe Pass identifier. Obtained when the customer registered with Adobe. Associated with a list of MVPDs on Adobe Pass.
||Ooyala Backlot identifier. Associated with the user’s authorization rights on Adobe Pass (as configured in Backlot: pass:resourceId).
||Player parameter. Maps to resourceId (video’s label in Backlot).
Steps to Integrate via Adobe Pass
Prior to configuring with Adobe Pass, you must have:
- a business account with Adobe Pass
- a “requestorId” with the list of MVPDs registered with Adobe Pass
To integrate with Adobe Pass and Ooyala, complete the following steps:
- Add Adobe Pass to a player. Ask Brightcove Technical Support to add the "adobe-pass" module to the desired player via support-tools > Add third-party-module > "adobe pass".
- Set up an MVPD picker that allows the end user to login with Cable credentials.
- Ask Brightcove Technical Support to add "requestorId" with the Adobe Pass identifier (which was assigned when you registered with Adobe) to the player configured for Adobe Pass in the previous step.
- In Backlot, create a label with name = “pass:resourceId” and add it to your videos.
- In Backlot, enable “Ooyala Player Token” to the player using the Publish tab. Create a syndication set, and click (check) the “Require Ooyala Player Token” checkbox.
Note: Available only if your Ooyala account includes this functionality. To enable Ooyala Player Token, contact your account manager.
- Load a sample Adobe Pass HTML page. A player that has the Adobe Pass module instantiates the OO.Pass object. The page also must have the staticResourceId equal to the resourceId that your organization configured on the video’s label in Backlot.
- To handle success/failure for authentication and errors, call OO.Pass.login().
- To detect a success or error upon login, listen to OO.EVENTS.ADOBE_PASS_AUTH_STATUS or "setAuthenticationStatus" via the message bus.
- To log out, call OO.Pass.logout().
For reference material on integrating with Adobe Pass, see Adobe Pass Integration Reference.
Note: Adobe Pass is no longer supported in the Ooyala iOS and Android Mobile SDKs.