Discovery enables you to keep users engaged by directing them to related and relevant
content on your site. Discovery learns continuously from video impressions and plays to provide
users with a dynamic, personalized experience.
Using Discovery, you can recommend:
- Videos based on content popularity or velocity for the current hour, day, week, or
- Videos with usage patterns that are similar to a selected video.
Enabling Discovery for Your Account
Discovery must be explicitly enabled for
your Ooyala Backlot account. If it is not already enabled, contact your Ooyala account
representative to activate Discovery features for your site.
Adding the Discovery Plugin to an HTML Page
Note: Discovery and Playlists (created using ThemeBuilder) each control end
screen behavior, so you cannot use them together. When you embed a player on a web page, you can
use either Discovery or Playlists, but not both.
To use Discovery with
- If you use Backlot to generate your HTML embed code, and you choose
the V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code (recommended) option, the Discovery plugin
is automatically included and should not be explicitly added to the web page where you
launch the player. For details, see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot.
- If you choose the V4 HTML5 Player Embed Code (Advanced) option in Backlot, or if you manually create the HTML embed code yourself, you need to add the Discovery plugin (discovery_api.min.js) to your web page so that the Discovery plugin loads
before the player is created.
Discovery functionality requires the playerBrandingId you specify
on the page.
Customizing the Discovery User Interface
In addition to using Backlot
(see Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI
), you can customize the Discovery
interface by modifying settings in the skin.json
config file or in CSS
Discovery settings in skin.json
You can change Discovery
interface settings in skin.json
- To customize visual elements in the Discovery screen (such as the title), change
settings under discoveryScreen.
- To display the Discovery screen when playback ends, under the
endScreen settings, specify "screenToShowOnEnd":
- To display the Discovery screen when playback pauses, under the
pauseScreen settings, specify
- To configure Discovery buttons, under buttons, change the
discovery button settings for
desktopContent and desktopContent.
- To configure the Discovery icon, under icons, change the
discovery icon settings.
For more information, see Customizing the Player V4 Skin with skin.json
Discovery settings in CSS
customize the Discovery interface by modifying settings under the
element. See Customizing the Player V4 Appearance Using CSS
Customizing Video Recommendations
You can change settings that
Ooyala's video recommendations engine uses to generate recommendations for consumers.
See Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI
Discovery and Autoplay
- Beginning with Player V4 version 4.12.6, Discovery defaults to autoplay, even
when the main video is not set to autoplay on the page. To disable the automatic
playing of Up Next or Discovery videos after the main video has played, set
playerParams.autoPlay to false and specify
playerParams.autoPlayUpNextVideosOnly as false. See Page-level Parameters for Player V4.
- For Player V4 version 4.11.14 and earlier, Discovery defaulted to autoplay only if the embedded player was set to autoplay.
For more information
To learn more about Discovery, see: