Due to rapid changes that YouTube makes to its API and other functionality, maintaining this
plugin at an acceptable quality level has not been achievable. Ooyala is therefore
deprecating Player V4 playback of YouTube-hosted videos. If you have specific needs
around YouTube videos with the Ooyala player, please contact Ooyala Tech Support
The Ooyala Player Plugin for YouTube iFrame enables you to play YouTube-hosted
videos using Player V4 and the Player V4 skin. This allows you to syndicate video
content from YouTube into your web application. Integration involves adding an asset in
Backlot that points to the video hosted on YouTube. In Backlot, the asset type is
"youtube", so in our documentation, we refer to these as YouTube assets. You can
customize video metadata (video title and description) in Backlot so that it appears
Supported PlayersThe Ooyala Player Plugin for YouTube iFrame
is supported in the Ooyala HTML5 web player versions 4.9.8 through 4.10.6 (but not later).
- The Ooyala Player Plugin for YouTube iFrame uses YouTube's IFrame player API,
which supports HTML5 playback only.
- The Ooyala Player Plugin for YouTube iFrame supports pre-recorded videos.
Although live streams will work, the player experience does not reflect that the
content is live.
Available Player V4 Controls
You can use the following Player
controls with Player V4 and YouTube-hosted videos:
- Social Sharing
- Discovery (if enabled in Backlot)
- Bitrate controls
In addition, playback events associated with a YouTube asset (represented by an
embed_code in Backlot) are tracked using any of the Player V4 analytics plugins that
implement the Analytics Framework
Requirements and Limitations
Because YouTube (not Ooyala) hosts the
video content, playback in Player V4 is subject to the following requirements:
- Playing YouTube content is supported for HTML5 only. There is no Flash
- YouTube content cannot be played on iOS devices.
- Due to YouTube licensing requirements:
- You cannot remove the YouTube watermark branding.
- You cannot remove YouTube video ads.
- To use Player V4 ad plugins (see Ads in Player V4) with YouTube-hosted videos, you must have written permission from
YouTube, per their Terms of Service. If you have this
permission, contact Brightcove Technical Support for information on how to
use Ooyala's Ad Manager Framework (AMF) with YouTube-hosted videos and
- YouTube playlists are not supported within Player V4.
- YouTube preview images and thumbnails are not supported in Player V4.
- YouTube closed captions are not supported in Player V4.
Step 1: Add the YouTube Video in Backlot
Begin by adding the YouTube video
to your Backlot account.
- When you add a YouTube video to Backlot, you simply create an asset that points to the video
hosted on YouTube (its YouTube URL contains its YouTube ID). The video is not actually
ingested into your Backlot account.
- There is a 1:1 correspondence between YouTube assets in Backlot and YouTube IDs. A YouTube
ID is uniquely associated with one YouTube asset in Backlot. No two YouTube assets in your
account can have the same YouTube ID.
For details, see:
Step 2: Associate the YouTube Video with the Player
Next, in Backlot,
associate the embed code of the YouTube video with the Player. For details, see Managing YouTube Asset Details
Step 3: Specify
the Plugin on the Web Page
Add the Ooyala Player Plugin for YouTube
iFrame In the <head>
section, load the Ooyala Player Plugin for
<title>My Test Player V4 Web Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="url_where_hosted/html5-skin.min.css"/>
4: Embed the Player and YouTube Asset in an HTML iFrame
See Embedding Player V4 in an HTML iframe