Player V4 Web release v4.11.13 adds support for delivering My Ads associated with a
video in Backlot, along with additional configuration options for the Pulse plug-in, playlists, and the Share screen.
Software Feature Releases
Player V4 Web release v4.11.13
Note: This player is subject to mixed content enforcement by web browsers, including
for Flash streams. If embedding the Ooyala V4 Player on a site running over
HTTPS, confirm that you have no HTTP streams (i.e. mixed content) before
using this player version. If you have an HTTP site, this does not apply. Due to
some customers having mixed content conditions, Player V4 release 4.11.13 cannot
be placed on the .../stable/latest path without impacting their sites. As a
result, this release is available only by pointing directly to the /4.11.13
paths, as shown in the default player links (below) for the core player and
- My Ads support: Player V4 now delivers pre-roll ads for My Ads (MP4
only) that you upload and configure in Backlot. See Delivering My Ads.
- Overlay and Time Based Break Support in Ooyala Pulse Plugin. Two new
features are now supported in your integration between Player V4 and Pulse
for ad serving. Request any overlays using the
pulse_non_linear_cuepoints parameter and set the
time in seconds in the pulse_max_linear_break_duration
parameter to create or override the insertion policies for linear ad breaks
in Pulse. See Ooyala Pulse Ad Parameters.
- Specifying the first video from the playlist. The new
useFirstVideoFromPlaylist parameter allows you to
specify the playlist’s first video set as the page's initial embedCode,
rather than the actual embedCode placed on the page. See Using Playlists in Player V4.
- Controlling the Share screen with skin.json. On the Share screen, you
can now use skin.json (shareScreen.socialContent property)
to configure which buttons to display (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and
Email), and in what order. If none are specified, then the Share tab is
hidden. See Ooyala Player Skin Documentation and JSON
- Bitmovin Plugin Self-hosting: If you are using the self-hosting the
Bitmovin Video Plugin for DASH and HLS, you now need to host additional
files associated with the Bitmovin plugin (see Hosting Player V4 Resources).
- Mapping of Backlot Player UI parameters for V4 Players. Some of the
parameters (for example, tint color) are now recognized by Player V4.
However, not all Backlot parameters are supported by Player V4.
Additionally, Backlot Player UI settings have a lower priority compared to
skin.json parameters. If you are including skin.json in your page, the
settings in this file will override any Backlot settings. If you do not
include skin.json in your deployment, the Backlot player settings will be
used. In a planned upcoming release for Backlot, unsupported parameters for
Player V4 will be removed to provide clarity on which specific Backlot
player UI settings are fully supported.
Default Player Links
To update to the latest Player V4 version from a
previous version of Player V4:
- Download and host all of the new player resources (core plugin, skin plugins, CSS, font, and image
resources, video plugins, ad plugins, analytics plugins, and so on)
and update your resources to point to these new files.
- If you've customized your own Player skin using your own version of
skin.json, download the latest skin.json file and merge any changes in
this file with your customized skin.json file.
- Core Player (required)
- Player Skin
- Video Plugins (at least one required)
- Bitmovin plugin for HLS and DASH:
- Main video plugin for HLS and MP4:
- OSMF Flash plugin for HDS:
- Akamai HD video plugin:
- Plugin for YouTube iFrame (Deprecated):
- Ad Plugins
- Ooyala Pulse Ad Plugin:
- VAST and VPAID Ad Plugin:
- Google IMA Ad Plugin:
- FreeWheel Ad Plugin:
- Analytics Plugins
- Adobe Analytics (Omniture) Plugin:
- Google Analytics Plugin:
- Nielsen Analytics Plugin:
- Player V4 YOUBORA Plugin:
- comScore Analytics Plugin: Please contact your account manager for
access to this plugin.
- Discovery Plugin
- Playlists Plugin
- Live SSAI Pulse Plugin
Fixes in this release
- In addition to user-selected Discovery videos, autoplayed Discovery videos
are now included in Ooyala Analytics.
- Player V4 now autoplays Discovery videos on mobile browsers.
- On iOS devices, when a video was paused, the default player overlaid the
native player play button, which blurred the button appearance.
Important Notes for this Release
- If you are self-hosting skin.json, if you deploy this release (4.11.13), you
also need to pull the most recent version of the skin.json file (and apply
any of your customizations).
- Device registration for Dash DRM is currently not supported.
Known Issues in This Release Related to
The following are known issues for this release:
- My Ads does not work on mobile browsers.
- For some browsers on some Windows and Mac OS versions, Freewheel and Vast
mid-roll ads might not play.
- For the Bitmovin plugin, Google IMA mid-roll ads might not play
intermediately on some Mac OS environments.
- For HLS streams on Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browsers, you might
encounter a "Playback Stream Error" while in Flash.
Video Platform — Product Release Notes
This content was published on Jan 30, 2017 at 11:00 PM UTC.