v3 Analytics API Differences (Deprecated)
Here are the major differences in the programming interfaces between v2 Analytics and v3 Analytics (Ooyala IQ).
Warning: The v2 Analytics API has been deprecated. See Ooyala IQ Analytics for more details on the new v3 Analytics API.
- The major difference in the APIs between v2 Analytics and v3 Analytics is that v3 allows much richer investigation because of multidimensional analysis. This has certain ramifications on syntax, as described below.
- The v2 Analytics API positionally expresses many options or filters
directly on the route itself, often making the route difficult to parse. In addition, in v2 no more than a single dimension could be requested on the route. In the
v3 Analytics API, however, query string parameters (name/value pairs) are used for greater clarity and up to 3
dimensions can be included in a request. For example, for the performance report:
- In v2 Analytics: /v2/analytics/reports/level/performance/total/date_range
- In v3 Analytics: /v3/analytics/reports/?report_type=performance&start_date=beginning date
- In v3 Analytics, for queries with query parameters that would exceed the HTTP GET specification limit of 230 characters, please use a POST request. Some browsers and http clients may support more than 230 characters, but we will not provide official support for queries that violate the HTTP GET specification.
- In general, in v2 Analytics, a date range to filter the data can be specified at the end of the route, which is confusing. Instead, in v3 Analytics, use the start_date query string parameter and (if desired) the end_date parameter.
- In v2 Analytics, the breakdown_by parameter forces the response to show values by day, week, or month. In v3 Analytics there is no direct equivalent; all values are returned. You can limit the time segment returned with the time_segment parameter.
- v3 Analytics features with no equivalents in v2: filters=, metrics=, dimensions=, and other query string parameters.
- To manage the size of the datacubes, we have removed the city, tag, and url dimensions.
- API reports. The following table correlates the general syntax of
the v2 Analytics report types with their v3
Analytics general equivalents or near equivalents. This is not intended to be a thorough
treatment of all syntactical possibilities, but a general view of the differences.
Note: The engagement, sharing, and unique reports have been combined and included in the performance report.
Report Type v2 Analytics Report Route v3 Analytics Equivalent or Near Equivalent Performance /v2/analytics/reports/level/performance/ /v3/analytics/reports/?report_type=performance Sharing /v2/analytics/reports/account/sharing/videos/ /v3/analytics/reports/?report_type=performance Engagement /v2/analytics/reports/asset/asset_id/engagement /v3/analytics/reports/?report_type=performance Unique No equivalent /v3/analytics/reports/?report_type=performance Delivery /v2/analytics/reports/level/delivery/ Use the Account Usage API (see https://docs.brightcove.com/apidocs-ooyala/usage_api/index.html for details)
- Equivalences in query string parameters
v2 Analytics Query String Parameter v3 Analytics Equivalent Description page_token page Specify desired page of next response breakdown_by time_segment Categorize the data according to times limit limit Limit the number of records in the response order_by sort Sort the returned data
- For even more examples of equivalences, see API Requests: v2 Analytics and v3 Analytics Comparison (Deprecated) in the Analytics Developer Guide.