Audio-Only Player: Supported Environments, Formats, and Outputs
Was this article helpful?
Supported and unsupported environments for Audio-Only Player
Many of the capabilities we support for Video playback are also available for Audio-Only playback, including the configuration of Player options, variable speed playback, skip forward/backward controls, and up-next capabilities. We also offer the same IQ analytics and Asset Metadata options for Audio-Only Player that we offer for Video.
However we do not yet support some common Video features with our Audio-Only Player, including the video ad plugins (Google IMA, Freewheel, etc.), DRM, multiple bitrates, offline playback, closed captions, and accessibility.
The following environments are supported in this release:
Ooyala HTML5 Player (as of version 4.29.14).Note: Only streaming with HLS in AAC is currently supported for Ooyala HTML5 Player.
See Player Setup for more details.
- Mobile SDK on Android and iOS (as of version 4.43.0). See Configuring Audio-Only Player on Mobile SDK platforms for more information.
The following environments are NOT yet supported:
- Apple TV (TVoS).
- Amazon Fire TV.
Supported and unsupported features for Audio-Only Player
The following features are supported in this release:
- Clear streaming (Live, VOD) with HLS in AAC (currently only supported for Ooyala HTML5 Player, iOS and Android SDKs)
- Player Management (Configuring)
- Player Skin modification
- Player Controls (Skip buttons, playback speed)
- "UpNext" (Playlists, Discovery)
- Syndication Feeds (i.e. for Podcasts)
- Analytics Support (IQ)
- Asset Metadata
Currently unsupported features:
- DRM (Clear Streams only)
Ad Plugins (Ads must be stitched into audio stream)Note: As a workaround, ads could be built into the stream directly (as part of the source), or converted to a video by adding a slate (and, respectively, using the Video Player for playback).
- Multiple Bitrates
- Offline playback (DTO) outside of Podcast syndication.
- Closed Captions
- Streaming formats other than HLS
- MP3 format (from encoding)
Supported file formats (general)
- Content ingestion formats (see below for more details): OGG, M4A, MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV
- Output formats: OGG and M4A (progressive) and Audio-Only HLS (chunked)
- Audio-Only HLS, single bitrate
- No DRM support yet
Supported file formats for content ingestion
For Audio-Only, the following audio source file formats are supported for ingestion and playback, based on the supported environment:
- Web (Ooyala HTML5 Player, as of version 4.29.14): OGG, M4A, MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV for ingestion, and HLS (AAC) for playback.
- Android and iOS Mobile SDKs (as of version 4.42.0): OGG, M4A, MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV for ingestion, and HLS (AAC) for playback.
- Syndication (Podcasts): OGG, M4A, MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV for ingestion, and OGG or M4A for feeds.
Supported transcoding outputs
With the introduction of Audio-Only Player, the following transcoding outputs are now available:
- Audio-Only. Supported transcoding profiles:
Note: For Audio-Only output, AAC in HLS is optional; OGG and M4A are supported for all output at all times.
- AAC in HLS (uses FFMPEG for Elemental, and Azure for other renditions if Video content is also included).
- Muxing format that is called AAC for Audio-Only in HLS, and called TS if it contains Video.
- Progressive M4A (FFMPEG only).
- Progessive OGG (FFMPEG only).
- Audio on-demand file support for customers on Elemental or Azure encoders.
- Video-Only. This functionality works as before - the supported outputs are MP4, HLS DASH, HEVC.
- Combined Audio and Video. Supported transcoding profiles:
- HLS with AAC only (Elemental, Azure).
- HLS with TS (FFMPEG, Elemental, Azure).
- MP4, DASH (Elemental, Azure).
- Audio-Only Live Assets - Steam setup.