About Discovering and Recommending Content
Was this article helpful?
Discovery enables you to keep users engaged by directing them to related and relevant content on your site. Discovery learns continuously from video impressions and plays to provide users with a dynamic, personalized experience.
- Videos based on content popularity or velocity for the current hour, day, week, or month.
- Videos with usage patterns that are similar to a selected video.
Enabling Discovery for Your AccountDiscovery must be explicitly enabled for your Ooyala Backlot account. If it is not already enabled, contact your Ooyala account representative to activate Discovery features for your site.
Recommendations Engine and Player
Discovery involves two key components:
- Ooyala provides a patented video recommendations engine that uses machine learning algorithms to make personalized recommendations.
- The Ooyala player provides a pre-integrated user interface with autoplay for viewing and navigating the results generated by the recommendations engine.
The player and the recommendations engine interact in the background. The Discovery recommendations engine is also available directly via an API.
There are two main ways in which to configure Discovery:
- Backlot UI is easy, straightforward, and sufficient for configuring the Discovery in-player experience. For details, see Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI.
- Discovery API provides programmatic access to the Discovery recommendations engine for presenting tailored content to users in content carousels on your site. For details, see the Discovery REST APIs.
You can change settings in the recommendations engine to influence the results. You can customize the user experience by configuring player display settings in Backlot to change how videos are shown to the user, how the user selects them, timing, previews, end screen styles, and so on. You typically configure an Ooyala player to display recommendations on the End Screen and, optionally, the Pause Screen.