Chromecast Sender Application
Was this article helpful?
The sender is the Cast component built into Ooyala’s Android or iOS SDK that provides users with playback controls like play, pause, stop, and the ability to select which device content is streamed. Under the hood, these sender apps can detect receiver devices on the same local network, establish a secure channel, and exchange messages.
The sender application is the application of the ‘primary’ viewing device and is responsible for locating nearby Chromecast devices. The following comprises the sender application framework:
- Integrates with Google’s Cast SDK (part of the Google Play Services platform) for iOS, and Google's Cast Companion Library for Android.
- Integrates with Ooyala iOS and/or Android SDKs for mobile-based applications.
- Communicates Ooyala embed_code and player_branding_id to the Receiver application.
- Communicates Ooyala player controls like Load, Play, Pause, Seek, Stop, Set Volume, and Get Status to the Receiver application.
- Receives Ooyala player information, playhead time change, status change, and errors from the Receiver Application.
The sender application consists of the following components.
- Cast Button: The button which invokes a menu to connect, control and disconnect from cast receivers.
- Cast Menu: The menu that pops up when the cast button is clicked. The cast menu lets users connect, control and disconnect from Cast receivers.
- User Controls: The end user can use user controls such as play, pause, seek, etc. to control content that is casting/playing on a Cast receiver.