Integration with Ooyala Pulse on iOS
Was this article helpful?
What You Need
With the Ooyala SDK for integrating Ooyala Pulse, the same advertising experience you have created on the desktop can be created on mobile devices when supported.
To get started with the integration between your Ooyala Player V4 and ad serving from Ooyala Pulse on iOS, you will need the following:
- Ooyala Mobile SDK for iOS (available at Ooyala Downloads)
- Ooyala Skin SDK for iOS (available at Ooyala Downloads). For more information, see Player Skin for iOS.
- Ooyala SDK for Ooyala Pulse iOS (available at Ooyala Downloads)
- Ooyala Video Advertising iOS 2.x SDK framework (available at Ooyala Downloads)
- Apple Xcode
For the Ooyala Mobile SDK for iOS, Ooyala Skin SDK for iOS, and Ooyala SDK for Ooyala Pulse iOS, you must use versions with the same number. For the Ooyala Video Advertising iOS 2.x SDK, always use the latest version.
The Ooyala Pulse sample app is available for download at the Ooyala Sample app Git Hub. The location also contains information on how to set up your project and how the sample app works.
A simple Getting Started tutorial is included in the SDK reference documentation for the iOS SDK: Ooyala Player v4 Pulse Integration.
Essential Parameters, Custom Metadata and Videoplaza Ad Set
To make use of Ooyala Pulse ad serving in the Mobile SDK, you must create an ad set of type Videoplaza in Backlot. See the Backlot User Guide for details. Ooyala allows you to store Ooyala Pulse related parameters in a variety of locations. In order of precedence, Pulse parameters and their values can be defined in:
- Your app itself.
- In the Backlot MANAGE tab, for each video asset as custom metadata defined in the Custom Metadata tab.
- In the Backlot MONETIZE tab, Ad Sets subtab for the Videoplaza type of ad set.
- Pulse host: the URL to your Ooyala Pulse account. In the app, you would
set this parameter with the setPulseHost method, where you can
also set the deviceContainer and the
persistentId. It is recommended to set
deviceContainer to nil. For
[OOPulse setPulseHost:@"https://pulse-demo.videoplaza.tv" deviceContainer:nil persistentId:nil];
- Request settings object: information about the ad positions and quality of ads you want to request from Ooyala Pulse. The properties of this object are listed on VPRequestSettings.
- Content metadata object: information about the video content chosen for playback in the app, which helps in requesting targeted ads from Ooyala Pulse. The properties of this object are listed on VPContentMetadata.