Ooyala IQ Data Retention Policy FAQ
Was this article helpful?
Q: What is changing?
A: As part of ongoing efforts to maintain and increase the performance of Ooyala IQ, Ooyala is implementing a new data retention policy effective April 1, 2018.
Q: What is the new data retention policy, and how does it affect me?
A: As of April 1, 2018, Ooyala IQ will keep at least 27 months of data relative to the current date.
Q: Can I still access older data before you make the change
A: Yes. However, on April 1, 2018, we will remove any data that precedes January 1, 2016. If you need access to that data after the changes come into effect, you need to download the data and store it locally before April 1, 2018.
Q: I do not care about data more than 27 months old. What do I need to do?
A: If you do not care about data that is more than 27 months old, you do not need to do anything.
Q: What is the best way to extract old data before it passes the 27-month mark?
A: The best way to extract old data before it is purged is by using the Ooyala IQ API. For more information, see How Can I Make a Long and Detailed Query?.
Before you begin, you will need to identify the following:
- The combinations of dimensions that cover your use cases. For example, device type + operating system or asset + device_type.
- The metrics you need. For a list of available metrics, see Metrics.
- The time granularity of each data point (daily, weekly, monthly).
Then use the following rules of thumb to determine the time range to include in each request:
- For requests including asset dimension, include no more than 1 week of data. If your library sees activity in more than 2000 different videos per day, consider including no more than 1 day of data.
- For daily granularity, include no more than 1 month of data (without asset dimension).
- Do not use filters. This will significantly increase the number of requests you will need. Instead, extract unfiltered data, then apply filters in your copy of the data.
Q: What if my question is not addressed here?
A: Please raise a ticket with Ooyala's Technical Support.