Was this article helpful?
Updates include an external ID for Backlot ingestion, new Backlot languages, new Support Centers, Android encoding optimizations, unique and localized paywall purchase emails, custom bit.ly account, enhanced search, improved API V2 performance, and device-based customizations.
The following are release items:
- Specify external ID during ingest—The external ID enables you to use custom identifiers to identify and manage content in Backlot. Backlot now supports setting the external ID during ingest. For more information, go to the Ingestion.
- Backlot speaks more languages—Backlot is now available in English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Portuguese. For more information, go to the Backlot UI.
- New Support Centers—Ooyala has two new support centers: one for users and developers. These sites contain everything you need to integrate with the Backlot platform. This includes documentation in HTML and PDF formats, SDKs, training videos, and CMS plugins. For more information, go to the User Support Center and the Developer Support Center.
- Android encoding optimizations—We optimized the mobile ABR streams to provide smoother playback on Android devices, without affecting iOS playback. This is an automatic change; no action is necessary on your part.
- Unique and localized paywall purchase emails—Previously a generic email was sent to every consumer that made a paywall purchase. You can now specify a unique email for each purchase and you can even provide a localized email (based on the local obtained by PayPal). For more information, contact your account representative.
- Custom bit.ly account—When sharing to Twitter, we use an Ooyala bit.ly URL shortener. You can now use your own bit.ly accounts for shortening URLs. For more information, contact your account representative.
- Enhanced search—Numerous changes were made to enhance search results and improve non-Latin search results. This is an automatic change; no action is necessary on your part.
- Improved API V2 performance—API v2 calls are 30% faster and, in some cases, up to 5 times faster. This is an automatic change; no action is necessary on your part.
- Device-based customizations—Ooyala uses configuration settings that meet most requirements for most device types. We now support additional custom configuration settings for max bitrate, min bitrate, and buffer length, based on device type. If you have very specific use cases that are not supported by the default settings, contact your account representative.