Was this article helpful?
Notable contents of this release include updated and new Ooyala IQ functionality.
Software Feature Releases
Ooyala IQ Metrics Supported for Backlot Assets Played in Third-Party Players
- An Ooyala player playing Ooyala assets (hosted in Backlot).
- (NEW) A third-party player playing Ooyala assets (hosted in Backlot).
- A third-party player playing third-party assets (hosted in a third-party CMS).
- OOYALA_CONTENT: Indicates that the
mediaid is an Ooyala embed code. To get the
information you need to specify the Ooyala asset, make the
Backlot API query: /assets/<ASSET EMBED
CODE>/streams for the asset and copy the result of
the desired encoding. The example below shows how
OOYALA_CONTENT is specified with the JW
- EXTERNAL_CONTENT: Indicates that the
mediaid is not an Ooyala embed code (and is
customer-defined media ID from a non-Ooyala CMS). The example
below shows how EXTERNAL_CONTENT is specified
with the JW Player adapter.
- Make sure that your Ooyala assets are playable on third-party players by checking that your video assets are .mp4 files and that you have the correct encoding profile to allow .mp4 files to be encoded.
- Create your third-party player, making sure to reference the URL to your .mp4 video asset, the asset's embed code, and to specify the asset type as mp4.
Mixed Player Support in Ooyala IQ
If you are using Ooyala players and third-party players to play Ooyala video assets (hosted in Backlot), you can now use one Backlot account to stream video to an Ooyala player and a third-party player. You can view consolidated IQ analytics metrics in one dashboard (through one user account) for both types of players.
Please note that for third-party assets (hosted in a third-party CMS), you will still need to set up a separate Backlot provider account to ingest asset metadata.
Infinite Label Scrolling in Ooyala IQ
The Business Intelligence page of Ooyala IQ now supports infinite label scrolling with the "filter by label" feature. We have also enhanced the Business Intelligence page load response time when you have a large number of labels.
New Preset Time Ranges in Ooyala IQ
- This Year
- Last Year
- Last 12 Months
Ooyala Analytics Chrome Extension
The Ooyala Analytics Chrome extension is now available in the Chrome Webstore at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ooyala-analytics-plugin/kgkibeopmmkehaijmmfhldeclmgbmgnp. You can use this debugging tool to help you to build your own third-party player adapter to work with Ooyala IQ.
Ooyala IQ Support for Chromecast Devices
Ooyala IQ now tracks Chromecast device plays. You can monitor Chromecast receiver analytics with the Ooyala IQ API by looking at data for browser=chrome, deviceOs=chromecast, and deviceType=settop. In the Ooyala IQ UI this will be under Device Type > settop > other - Chromecast. In the Player panel, you will see "Chromecast_player" for Chromecast players. Analytics results will vary depending on which cast/play scenario the end user initiates.
This feature was released in January. See Chromecast Integration Analytics for details.
Player V3 Bug Fix
We have released a fix for a Player V3 bug where on Android devices, Nexus 5 and Galaxy Note 4, after a pre-roll ad finished, the scroll bar on the video would jump back and forth, blocking a user from seeking through the video.
Updated NPAW Desktop Plugin
We have updated the Desktop Plugin of the Ooyala QoS Solution powered by NPAW's YOUBORA Analytics. This release adds support for custom parameters so you can display QoS data filtering on Backlot labels and custom metadata.
- Integrating Third-Party Players with IQ Using the JS SDK: Added instructions describing how to specify a media content type when integrating Ooyala IQ with a third-party player.
- Using Ooyala IQ with Third-Party Players: Updated the getting started instructions to show how to enable one Backlot account to support Ooyala and third-party players for Ooyala IQ analytics.
- DRM Policies: Added support for Widevine Modular.
- Player Authorization API for Player V3 (Deprecated): Added support for DASH format.
- Publishing Rules: Added exception feature to geographic restrictions.
- Rights Locker API Reference: Added user retrieval for an entitlement.