Was this article helpful?
Notable contents of this release include the release of Ooyala Live v1.3.0 and an update about the Android SDK.
Android SDK Update: Moving to Google ExoPlayer Libraries
As of April 1, 2016 the Ooyala Android SDKs have been shipping with Google ExoPlayer libraries instead of the VisualOn libraries. While there are steps that you will need to take, moving to ExoPlayer will provide a more consistent, higher quality HLS and MPEG-DASH playback experience for VOD and live streams on Android devices.
As of August 1, 2016, Ooyala will no longer support the HLS player integration with VisualOn or provide bug fixes or improvements specific to VisualOn libraries.
You should upgrade to the latest Ooyala Android SDKs by August 1st to ensure you receive updates and fixes to your Android SDKs.
- ExoPlayer HLS library is designed to solve the complex problems associated with HLS video streaming in the world of Android.
- ExoPlayer is available out-of-the-box with Ooyala Android SDKs.
- Google ExoPlayer provides MPEG-DASH, WebM, MP4, and M4A playback support on Android.
- With the latest Android SDK upgrade, you can very easily create native apps that provide wider coverage for video streaming, core playback and advertising functionalities thereby creating more ROI with building native apps over plain browser based experiences.
- With Google ExoPlayer integration, the Ooyala Android SDK also now supports studio-approved Widevine Modular DRM for premium content using MPEG-DASH.
If you have any questions about the move to Google ExoPlayer, please contact your Ooyala point of contact or Brightcove Technical Support.
Software Feature Releases
Ooyala Live Release - Version 1.3.0
New Features and Enhancements
- The time-to-keep duration has been extended to 72 hrs for Elemental Delta.
- The Stream Picker has been renamed as the Input Selector, is only displayed as needed, and only displays input tables that are needed.
- There was an issue in which trimming duration did not display properly in production. This issue has been resolved.